Sunday, December 6, 2020

This Woman Is Breaking Down Stereotypes That Yoga Is Only For a Certain Body Type

It might be 2019, but we're still working hard to break down adverse myths and build up positivity for the body. One of those places? Yoga, a discipline designed to be welcoming and inclusive, is surprisingly sufficient to be reserved for those with unique types of body (read: slim, thin, athletic). We talked with Atlanta-based yogi and Lululemon global ambassador Chelsea Jackson Roberts about how she stays zen and why she's working hard to crack misconceptions in the world of yoga.

What makes you feel powerful and strong?

Studying a purpose, mission, or vision and having myself committed to it no matter how terrifying it is. That makes me feel very good until I hit the target or am in the process of working towards something.

This Woman Is Breaking Down Stereotypes That Yoga Is Only For a Certain Body Type
Can you describe what you mean by self-care?

In many ways, I also represent people in neighborhoods and even my partner, so self-care is carving out time for myself. Ultimately, it is a consistent activity or devotion to myself and while I am engaged in it it makes me feel good.

What's your favorite pose for yoga and why?

The Posture of Dancer. When I started yoga, it was one of the first poses I did. And it was something that I wouldn't have thought if I had seen a photo of anyone else doing it, that it was something my body would be able to do. I did it though and the pose stuck with me.

You've talked about battling the misconception of what a yogi usually looks like Can you describe that a little more?

I feel like I am fighting back against this narrative that yoga is only for a certain type of body or that since they are athletic or have the money to spend on expensive yoga wear, there are only certain people who are deserving of this activity. So every time I wake up, I feel like it's me pushing back on the stereotype that yoga is about. Every time I lecture, this picture changes. I'm happy that we have started to see a change in who a yogi is in the past five years with teachers like Jessamyn Stanley and Anna Guest-Jelley and myself.

How did yoga make you change?

I'm kinder to myself, more patient, not as critical as that. The instruments that I have and continue to learn from yoga are the ones that help me retain that kindness, and that influences and affects how I handle others.

Have you got a mantra?

I recently attended the Yoga Nidra immersion of Tracee Stanley, and we had to build our ideal Sankofa, which is essentially a mantra you'd use in your practice. Mine is even when I question, I am grounded and able to make choices." When I hear myself say this it enhances my ability to trust that I can make a good decision.

To get our top stories sent to your inbox, subscribe to the Newsletter Release

No comments:

How With Strength Exercise to Lose Fat

If I had a nickel every time a female customer told me that they refused to lift weights for fear of getting bulky, let's just say I...