Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Flyby Fitness: I tried Gloveworxx Boxing

During my day, I took a couple of boxing lessons, both conventional and hybrid. So I was super excited to get into the ring when California-based Gloveworx opened up a store in New York City, where I live. I also felt I was looking for a sweat sesh that could shake up my current routine, which was heavy on running and indoor cycling as of late. Plus, a professional boxer who has trained a number of celebrities, including Jennifer Aniston and Jennifer Love Hewitt, is the owner, Leyon Azubuike. Interested in pulling the gloves on a pair? Here's what you need to be conscious of:

Basics of boxing: Punch, cross, hook, uppercut, roll, slip-these are the basic moves that you can normally practice regardless of what kind of boxing class you sign up for. You'll also be reminded periodically to keep your gloves up (because no one wants to take a punch to the face). Just don't make the mistake of assuming that boxing is just a workout for the upper body. If you do it right, it's going to be full body, and afterwards you're going to be sore. Count on ring sparring, heavy bag practice, probably speed bag hitting, and general workouts (think squats and planks).

What Gloveworx says you can get While this boxing studio offers a number of lessons, I took the hour-long GWX 101, Boom X, Boom, Lightning, Blitz, and One-On-One. This class is touted as a "slower-paced session delivered in a small group of 2-6 individuals who learn the ropes... with a coach who focuses on getting your technique right." The summary of the class also states that the fundamentals of throwing punches and boxing footwork will be mastered.

What I got: Don't be fooled by the 101 moniker first of all. Your butt will be kicked by this class! It took 15 minutes to ensure that every single muscle in the body was primed and ready to go and we began with the most thorough warmup ever. Next, we learned each punch's proper mechanics, first practicing shadow boxing, and then going on to practice with one-on-one gloves. Just when my heart was really pounding and exhaustion was beginning to set in, we were going for some sprint work at the Versa Climber. (FYI: Versa Climber is hard AF, and I hate it.) We finished with some core work to complete the workout, keeping planks for multiple rounds of varying periods.

Yeah, it's for you: Actual exercise aside, this class might be a good start if you are stressed or have some pent-up anger you need or want to work through. Throwing those punches takes out all the tension and makes you really feel strong. Also, this is for you if you are looking for a fun but intense way to operate your body that is form-centric and super-technical.

You can pass: I'd say pass if you want to zone out during your workout. Boxing is about the mind as much as the body, so it is important to carry the brain to the ring.

To get our top stories sent to your inbox, subscribe to the Newsletter Release

No comments:

How With Strength Exercise to Lose Fat

If I had a nickel every time a female customer told me that they refused to lift weights for fear of getting bulky, let's just say I...